Using in-vitro fertilization, couples who had difficulty conceiving were able to get pregnant and give birth to a child. You may question why IVF doesn’t work because it’s often thought to be successful. IVF’s effectiveness is dependent on a slew of variables, none of which can be controlled.
Procedure for In Vitro Fertilization
Having a greater grasp of how IVF works can help you prepare for a successful cycle. The IVF method is shown in this manner.
- Intravenous Hormone Treatment: Every month, on average, one egg is released from the ovary. IVF, on the other hand, necessitates the extraction of several eggs from the uterus. In order to release numerous eggs at once and then remove them, follicle-stimulating hormones are administered.
- Recovering Eggs: The best moment to extract eggs is when they have just been released from the follicles. It takes less than 30 minutes for the doctor to use ultrasound to find the follicles in the ovary and a hollow needle to extract them.
- Fertilization is the Third Step: A donor or your partner’s sperm is used to fertilize the eggs as soon as they are removed from the uterus.
- As part of the observation Process: To ensure that the embryos (fertilized eggs) grow and develop appropriately, they are put under monitoring. During this time, the embryos are observed until they reach the blastocyst (advanced) stage, which is generally five days.
- Transfer of Embryos: In a quick and painless process, the best embryos are selected and transported to your uterus for eventual implantation. The doctor inserts a catheter into the uterus and places the embryos; the operation takes just a few minutes.
- Pregnancy and Implantation: For a successful pregnancy, the embryos are left to implant or connect to the uterine walls. A failed IVF cycle is one in which this does not occur.
Reasons for IVF Failures:
IVF failure does not provide any light on the reasons why the process failed. Numerous variables influence the etiology of this condition.
- Transplantation of Embryos: An embryo that has been fertilized successfully may fail to attach to the uterus and fail to implant at some point in the future.
- An Embryo Devoid of Conducive Elements: In certain cases, physicians may not be able to discover a viable embryo during the IVF treatment. This necessitates the termination of the procedure.
- Fertilization of Eggs fails: It’s possible for the eggs to be fertilized even before an embryo is formed. This might be due to either one or both of them.
- Quality Eggs Are Hard to Come By: In order for an embryo to develop correctly, high-quality eggs are required. The odds of forming an embryo are little to none if they aren’t gathered in sufficient numbers.
- An insufficient number of oocytes: Early termination of IVF occurs before the female partner’s eggs have been harvested. IVF cannot begin if the stimulation fails to produce enough follicles for egg production. This IVF treatment can be purely done at one of best Infertility Center in Bihar, that is, Diwya Vatsalya Mamta IVF Center.
IVF Failure Symptoms
Because of the lack of any alterations, the IVF implantation failure signs are clearly obvious. Increased sensitivity of breasts, vaginal discharge, and mild stomach cramps are common side effects of implantation. The absence of any of these after two weeks of IVF treatment may indicate that the procedure was unsuccessful.
When IVF fails, what happens?
If you have an IVF failure, you’ll want to speak with your Fertility Specialist Doctor to figure out what went wrong and what your next steps should be.
- Session One: Counseling: The news of an unsuccessful IVF round may be upsetting on more than just a medical level for you and your spouse. As a consequence, this might lead to despair or fear about attempting it again. Counseling sessions might assist you in regaining some control over your emotions and a sense of well-being.
- It’s time to make some lifestyle changes: When you talk to your doctor, you’ll have a better sense of what could have led to an unsuccessful in the Vitro fertilization process. Pregnant women may be advised to adjust their diet and exercise routines in order to maintain their weight in a healthy range, as well as to increase the production of hormones that promote pregnancy.
- Genetic testing should be carried out before implantation: If other methods of conceiving have failed, this may be an alternative. Genetic testing comes with a hefty price tag. In addition, it helps to identify any potential issues that can affect the embryo’s ability to implant, and repair or reduce them by selecting a suitable embryo.
IVF Failure – How to Deal with It?
Understanding why IVF failed is an important part of coping with the situation. What’s more, you must deal with the occurrence itself and assist yourself in returning to normality in the best possible manner.
- Doing what you like is the best way to keep yourself motivated: Begin by jotting down all the activities you like doing. You and your pals may go on a mini-trip, eat delicious cuisine, and have a good time. Give yourself a break from the sorrow by having some fun.
- Engage in Conversations with People Who Share Your Interests: There are many ladies who had IVF failures. Your feelings and worries may be expressed and supported by a friend who knows what you’re going through by connecting with them online or in person. Voicing your emotions might help you feel more at ease.
- Carry out your own self-healing activities: The body experiences a major transformation during IVF, and now it must return to its normal condition. Since your menstrual cycle needs a few days to restart, your first period may be delayed. It’s a positive indicator that your body is working OK if you experience bleeding, so try to enjoy it. Relax your mind and body using acupressure or other alternative treatment approaches.
- Organize Long-Term Goals: A glance at fertility websites and publications, as well as debates in forums, will help you get a better sense of the possibilities you have available. If the other alternative fails, you have a plan of action in place on what to do next.
- Trust the Process: Certain medical issues may necessitate the termination of a pregnancy after a successful IVF cycle, resulting in a miscarriage or premature birth. Talk to your doctor to get a clearer picture of what went wrong and how to fix it. The following may assist you in coping with and embracing your own personal hardships.
- It’s up to you who you tell: When you become a mother via IVF, you’ll want to tell everyone you know about the experience. But when the process goes awry, it may be embarrassing and difficult to repeat oneself in response to their queries. Consider this a lesson and keep a smaller group of people informed of any future efforts to do the same. You may announce your pregnancy as soon as you obtain a positive test.
- Do not hold yourself responsible for the outcome.: There are a lot of variables that need to be in place for IVF to be effective, and many of those elements are interdependent. It’s not your fault if your body is unwell or you’ve been reckless in any manner.
What can be done to lessen the chances of an IVF procedure failing?
It is possible for IVF patients to lower their chances of having a miscarriage in the future.
- Your TSH level should be checked (Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone). This test is critical since elevated TSH levels have been linked to miscarriage.
- One should lose weight at least three months before IVF if one is fat or overweight. IVF therapy is more likely to be effective if the patient’s BMI is lower. Exercise should not be overdone and should be taken gently.
- Get your antibodies examined if you’ve had a history of miscarriages.
- Before your next IVF round, get a hysteroscopy. If you have an issue with your uterus, this is better than a scan since it is more accurate.
- Smoking and drinking should be fully eliminated from your diet.
- Eating a nutritious diet is the first step. There shouldn’t be too much processed and prepackaged food in their diet.
- The pair must be genetically screened if the patient has had numerous miscarriages or failures.
- By genetically screening the embryo for a normal one, an older couple may boost their chances of becoming parents.